The Montessori approach is described as an “education for life”. When we try to define what children take away from their years in Montessori, we must expand our vision to include long term benefits of a Montessori education and development of the whole child .Research shows that Montessori students, have alongside other benefits:-
- More innovation and compulsion to make positive contributions to their community and the world at large.
- Self-discipline and composure. They are self-reflective.
- A love for learning.
- Good levels of independence, self-direction, composure and motivation.
- More confident in expressing their own ideas and creativity. They recognise the value of their own work, respect the process of others and are willing to share ideas.
- Better prepared both for higher education and for life; life long learners. Montessori schools give children the sense of belonging to a family and help them learn how to live in harmony with others.
Montessori schools are different but it isn’t just because of the materials that are used in the classroom. Look beyond the golden beads and the pink tower and you will discover that the classroom is a place where children are moulded for an outstanding future.
Here are some living witnesses to the success of the Montessori education
FAMOUS PEOPLE EDUCATED AT MONTESSORI SCHOOLS
It is quite an interesting collection of people throughout history who have gone to Montessori schools, sent their children to Montessori schools, or supported this method of education in one way or another. The short list includes:
- Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia
- Will Wright, designer of The Sims
- Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis, former first lady(John F. Kennedy)
- Anne Frank-author, diarist from World War II
- Larry Page and Sergey Brin -founders of Google
- Jeff Bezos -founder of Amazon.com
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez-Nobel Prize winner for Literature
- Katherine Graham, former owner-editor of the Washington Post
- Sean ‘Puff Daddy’ Combs- music producer/entrepreneur
- Berry Brazelton- paediatrician and author
- Julia Child- author, chef, TV cooking shows
- Prince William and Prince Harry
- Kami Cotler- actress
- Melissa and Sarah Gilbert-actors
- Elizabeth Bridge- actress
FAMOUS MONTESSORI SUPPORTERS
- Alexander Graham Bell, Inventor
- Thomas Edison, US scientist and inventor, helped found a Montessori school
- Alice Waters, restaurateur and writer, is a former Montessori teacher
FAMOUS PEOPLE WHO CHOSE MONTESSORI SCHOOLS FOR THEIR OWN CHILDREN
- Bill and Hillary Clinton ,Former President and New York Senator
- Jennifer Granholm ,Michigan State Governor
- John Bradshaw, psychologist and author
Montessori has influenced many people, famous or not, who have grown to see the world in a new way and to follow their own leading.
“I do not believe there is a method better than Montessori for making children sensitive to the beauties of the world and awakening their curiosity regarding the secrets of life”.
-Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel Laureate in Literature and former Montessori student
HOW TO RECOGNISE A TRUE MONTESSORI SCHOOL
Maria Montessori set up the Association Montessori International (AMI) in 1929 to ensure her work would be faithfully reproduced after her death. A school that is run by an AMI trained teacher is practising what is known as ‘Maria Montessori’s Montessori.